Spiritual Quest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spiritual Quest

For those seeking spiritual enlightenment and knowledge...

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
:rose: Don't forget to visit our chatroom at the top of the forum :rose:
:rose: Problems registering? Please leave a message in our notepad section :rose:
:rose: Please check our Announcements section regularly for news :rose:

Relaxation and Deep Breathing Exercises to undertake before Meditation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pat R
Admin
Admin
Pat R

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Relaxation and Deep Breathing Exercises to undertake before Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Relaxation and Deep Breathing Exercises to undertake before Meditation   Relaxation and Deep Breathing Exercises to undertake before Meditation Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:31 am

RELAXATION AND DEEP BREATHING EXERCISES (For Beginners)

I'm sure many members will already be familiar with relaxation and deep breathing techniques, but some members may be beginners. Therefore, on this page I've posted relaxation and deep breathing exercises that I undergo with all my psychic awareness students, before we embark upon a meditation.

The purpose of Relaxation, Deep Breathing is two-fold.

1. These exercises are designed to help you relax both your body and your mind, soothe your nerves and enhance your creative and psychic abilities.

2. It’s very important if you’re going to do any psychic work (eg working with psychometry, flowers, sand, tea-leaves or any of the other tools I teach) that you’re as relaxed bodily and mentally as possible, so your creativity and psychic abilities are flowing smoothly. It’s particularly important if you're planning to undertake any healing.

To get the maximum benefit out of relaxation and deep breathing exercises, try and enjoy them, don’t look on them as a chore. Think of relaxation, deep breathing and meditation as a bit of a treat for yourself at the end of a hard day’s work, or a hard day’s housework and taking care of the children.

At first you may find you become distracted and might not want to continue, but please persevere. If possible, practice at least once a day. After 2 or 3 weeks you’ll be surprised to find how easy it becomes.

The build up to Meditation is done in 3 stages - relaxation of the body and mind, the deep breathing exercises (which lower respiration) and, finally, the meditation itself. This can be a guided meditation designed by a tutor, or one you get on a CD, or it could be your own personal meditation. (I have already posted one meditation, but we will be posting other meditations for you to try very shortly.)

Before you begin relaxation, deep breathing or meditation it’s essential you make yourself as comfortable as possible. You can do this relaxing in a chair, or if you’re practicing at home, why not lay down on your bed? If you're wearing tight shoes, kick them off. Also loosen any tight fitting collars or belts you may be wearing, as this can distract you and spoil the relaxation itself.

When you’re ready, you can begin STAGE ONE - Relaxation. (Relaxation starts by tensing and relaxing the muscles in your toes, then you continue upwards, tensing and relaxing the muscles in your lower and upper legs, then tensing and relaxing all the way up your body and arms, until you reach a point at the top of the spine. The last muscles you tense and relax are muscles in your neck. If you experience any pain during this process, then you're tensing yourself too much. Relaxation should be a pleasurable experience, not a painful one. Each individual has their own range of flexibility and mobility. DO NOT EXCEED THESE LIMITS WHEN USING THESE EXERCISES. IF YOU SUFFER FROM CHRONIC, OR OTHER NECK PAIN, DO NOT ATTEMPT THE CLOCKWISE/ANTICLOCKWISE MOVEMENTS MENTIONED IN THIS EXERCISE, ONLY RELAX PARTS OF YOUR BODY YOU ARE COMFORTABLY ABLE TOO!)

Start by pressing your heels into the floor, but lift your toes up off the floor. Gently bend your toes down as far as you are comfortably able. Hold them in this position while you count to 3 (say 1 and 2 and 3) then relax your toes.

Now you tense and relax the muscles in your lower legs. If you’re sitting in a chair push your feet firmly but gently into the floor. You’ll feel the muscles in your lower legs and knees become harder, (if you are laid on a bed, press your feet into the the bottom of the bed), count to 3 (1 and 2 and 3) now relax.

Tense the muscles in your upper legs and buttocks by pulling your inner thighs together so they meet, count 1 and 2 and 3 again and relax.

Next tense your abdominal muscles. Pull in your tummy muscles very gently but firmly then count 1 and 2 and 3 and relax them.

Now concentrate on your solar plexus and chest areas. Imagine you're pulling your breastbone back towards your spine, count 1 and 2 and 3 then relax.

Next, you concentrate on tensing the muscles in your hands, by making fists (you can really go to town with this one). Try to visualise any anxiety, tension, pain or stress you’ve been, or still are, experiencing as a ball of negative energy. Gather this negative energy up into the palms of your hands, then clench your fists tightly. (Imagine your fists crushing all that negative energy) count 1 and 2 and 3 then open your hands and let go of the crushed particles of negative energy. (Imagine these particles rising up through the ceiling, then travelling through your roof and rising up into the sky. The negative energy continues travelling upwards and eventually rises into Outer Space. Here the particles disperse, somwhere where they can't do any further harm).

You now tense the muscles in your lower arms. You do this by holding your arms out in front of you, but hold your palms face upwards. Count 1 and 2 and 3 then let your arms fall gently to your side.

Tense the muscles in your upper arms. Hold your arms straight down by the sides of your body (like a soldier at attention). Tense your muscles, count 1 and 2 and 3 then relax.

Next tense the muscles in your shoulders. Gently lift your shoulders up, count 1 and 2 and 3 then gently relax.

Next pull your chin gently down onto your chest, this tightens the muscles in your face. Count 1 and 2 and 3 then relax them.

Finally tense and relax the muscles of your neck. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU SUFFER FROM NECK PROBLEMS. Be very careful when you're doing this. Anyone suffering with arthritis knows these muscles can become very inflamed and very painful - so treat them with care! To loosen and free up the muscles in your neck, gently rotate your gehead in a clockwise movement. When you reach front position, stop for a moment and centre yourself, repeat this clockwise movement very gently another two times. When you have finished, repeat this movement but this time rotate your head anti-clockwise this time. Do this three times.

If you've done these relaxation exercises correctly you’ll find your body feels quite heavy. If you feel you’re not relaxed enough, repeat the exercises until you do feel relaxed. Gradually you can build these up so you don’t count 1 and 2 and 3, but perhaps one to 5 instead. Do these exercises in your own time and in your own way. Become as comfortable with these exercises as possible. When your body feels comfortably heavy, you are relaxed enough to go onto the next stage.

STAGE 2 is the Deep Breathing exercise. Deep breathing slows down all the bodily functions and can be very relaxing and calming to the mind as well. Most of us only use part of our lung capacity, because we mostly breathe using the top part of the lungs, rather than the base of our lungs. This exercise is designed to help you get oxygen deep down into your lungs, this will help cleanse your system. When you breathe out, you help breathe out impurities and toxins in your body.

Take a slow, deep breath through your nose (while you do this think “I am breathing in peace and relaxation”). Hold this breath for approximately 3 seconds (count one and 2 and 3) then breath out fully through your mouth, (as you exhale try thinking to yourself “I am breathing out tension and pain”). Repeat this deep breathing process at least twice more. Take another slow deep breath in through your nose, repeat again in your mind “I am breathing in peace and relaxation” hold the breath for 3 seconds, breath out slowly through the mouth (try to empty your lungs as much as you can), as you exhalethink once again “I am breathing out tension and pain”. Take a third slow deep breath in through your nose, thinking once again while you do this “I am breathing in peace and relaxation”, hold the breath 3 seconds, then breath out slowly through the mouth, while you repeat to yourself “I am breathing out tension and pain”.

These exercises should prepare you for the Final stage, which is Meditation. (I've posted in this section 'The Japanese Garden' a guided meditation that some of you might like to try.)
Back to top Go down
https://spiritual-quest.forumotion.net

Relaxation and Deep Breathing Exercises to undertake before Meditation
Page 1 of 1